Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ramadan

Falling ill is one of the worst things that can happen to a person living alone in pardes (foreign country).

From our childhood we have seen that every kid gets special and extra attention when they fall ill. I guess that sort of gets saved in memory and we expect special/extra attention whenever we get sick. However, there is no one there to give you that attention when you're living alone :(

I have been unwell since the past few weeks. Had severe fever and cough and flu for about four days and it drained me of all energy. Had to stop fasting for a few days because was too weak. I'm much better now alhamdolillah but the cough hasn't left me. Plus there is this itch in my throat which is very annoying.

When I was young and would go to the doctor with my parents, they would ask all the questions about what can I eat, what to avoid etc. etc. Now, the doctor just stays silent, I stay silent. He asks what's wrong, I tell him. He prescribes the medicine and that's it. Transaction over. Feels so robotic. I hate going to the doctor and I only went this time because I could feel that I wasn't well.

Bought a thermometer, panadol etc. first time in my life. (Yeah yeah, I know I'm spoiled). Ghar main to (at home) these things are readily available in a drawer or fridge etc. You feel really homesick during this time.

Ramadan has started and has gone by really quickly as well. Today is already the 16th roza.

It is so hot here these days plus it's really tough on us who have a cooking disability (not willing nor able to cook). You wake up at 3 am, go out in the heat to a restaurant to have sehri. Similarly, since there is no one to make pakoray, chaat etc., you have to go and directly have dinner for iftar instead of all those Ramadan specific yummy treats (pakoray, samosay, cholay, fruit chaat, dahi baray, I should stop before I start drooling (oops too late) :P )

However, I am glad at how Ramadan is going. The cooking disability has been with me for a while now. I really should learn how to cook.( Can't really live on boiled eggs and tea.)

Hope all is well with all of you and Ramadan is going well.

Keep smiling and keep blogging :)

2 comments:

Anaa said...

It is such a innocent and lovely post really.... Nostalgic too...

Ramadan , illness and Homesickness,,So tough really ...

After reading your post , I am itching to give you a lot of Advices...

1. When you go to Doc , Be vocal ,,,I mean you are paying so get all the information from him/her

2. Watch Pakistani food channels ,, they are great cooking resource ,,Plus cooking is fun ....

3. Look after yourself , as I recently learn How precious health is .

4. For cough , use honey , lemon with warm water ,,great Remedy :)

SHA said...

Lolz, thank you for liking the post :)

1. The doctors here are really weird. Plus I couldn't talk much in any case due to the high fever and weakness :(

2. Cooking is fun?? for me, only eaing is fun :P

3. I do, but it gets hard with less food choices. I have to eat what is available since I don't cook.

4. Lemon has some purani dushmani with me. Tried honey and hot water and it has helped with the itch but the cough is still there :)

Thank you so much for your advice :)

Ramadan

Falling ill is one of the worst things that can happen to a person living alone in pardes (foreign country). From our childhood we have seen...